Parrottsville, Tennessee




Mayor
Dewayne Daniel

Recorder
Jayne Ane Ragan

City Council
Ronnie Hommel
Thad Balch
Parrottsville News

Parrottsville Launches First Website
 



Town of Parrottsville
Third oldest Town in the State of Tennessee

The small Town of Parrottsville was named for the first settlers in this area. John Parrott most notably, claimed the title as founder of Parrottsville. His settlement can be traced back to 1769. John Parrott entered several hundred acres in the Parrottsville section. Jacob, the son of John Parrott, built the first house in Parrottsville.

Jacob built a tavern on Old Stage Coach Road in the 1820ís. Taverns or Inns were the center of social life in the pioneer communities. Travelers stopped to spend the night or for food and drinks, and the men of the neighborhood came to hear the news and to discuss politics. In 1936 this tavern was designated as the place to hold elections in the third district. During the civil war it was used as a hospital. The tavern accommodated government officials traveling between Washington and Jonesboro. President Jackson stopped there on his way to Washington to be sworn in as President of the United States. The tavern was located on the property now owned by J.D. and Aileen Barger.

In the early 1920ís, Parrottsville was incorporated, and officials were elected. Many fine homes were built in Parrottsville including the Roadman mansion, the LaRue home, the Yett mansion, Dan Myers home, Dan Ragan home, the Dawson home, the Parrott home, the Dr. Bell home, Dr. Daius Neas home and many others. At one time Parrottsville had five doctors living in the village, a tannery, black smith shop, three churches, tin shop, wood working shop, umdertaking establishment, two newspapers, canning factory, two mills, two schools and many other establishments.
Parrottsville was fortunate to have five springs. One located at the tavern, one at the Yett mansion, one at the Dan Ragan home, one at the Swaggerty Fort, the Fabian spring at the now W.D. Hogan property.

The Parrottsville community has been remarkably free of major crimes for many years. Governor Hooper once told the Parrottsville Ruritan Club that the Parrottsville Community had less meanness and fewer cases in court than any other section of Cocke County. This was due, no doubt, to the fact that the entire north part of the county from the Frenchbroad river to Greene county line, there were no beer joints or road houses.

Farming and education have been the greatest asset of Parrottsville. The schools have always been the pride of the community and can be traced back to 1846, the year of the first recorded session. In all probability the school was established years before this date.

Parrottsville now in 2011 is still a small Town with its own government. The government consists of one mayor and two commissioners. A city recorder is appointed after each election. An election is held every four years when three commissioners are elected with the commissioner receiving the most votes shall serve as mayor. The Mayorís job is to supervise Municipality affairs. The Mayor and City Council meet once monthly where all city business is discussed and decisions are made. All meetings are open to the public and well documented and recorded by the city recorder. The Town is served by its own sewer system.

Parrottsville now consists of two grocery stores, a library, post office, restaurant and Parrottsville Grammar school that is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. There are five clubs that include the Parrottsville Ruritan Club, Natural Bridge Ruritan club, Parrottsville Quilt Guild and the Parrottsville Business Association, the Parrottsville Volunteer Fire Department and the Rural Medical clinic. Parrottsville has a beautiful city park that is located on an historical landmark in the center of Town. The Park was built as a replica of old southern parks and is located on the property where the old LaRue Mansion stood. The property was donated to the Town of Parrottsville by historical families, the Parrotts, the LaRues and the Myers for whom the park was named. Families from all surrounding areas enjoy the park for birthdays, reunions, weddings and other occasions. The Town sponsors Parrottsville Heritage Day the second weekend in October. This event includes crafts, home cooked food, jellies, apple butter, pony rides, a beauty pageant on the stage at the barn and music and entertainment all during the day.

 
  Facebook Page

Twitter Page
State of Tennessee